Exercise-Induced Collapse (EIC)
Exercise-induced collapse (EIC) is an inherited neuromuscular disorder affecting several breeds of dog. EIC presents as exercise intolerance in apparently healthy dogs. Affected dogs are usually diagnosed before two years of age and appear normal during low to moderately strenuous activity. However, shortly after 5-20 minutes of strenuous exercise affected dogs will begin to walk with a wobbly, uncoordinated gait that often only affects the hind limbs. Dogs remain mentally alert and are not in pain during episodes of EIC. In some circumstances, the symptoms of EIC can progress to full body weakness with low muscle tone (flaccid paralysis), confusion, loss of consciousness, seizures and very rarely, death. The episodes typically last 5-10 minutes and most dogs will completely recover within 15-30 minutes.
- Exercise induced collapse. [Internet]. 1 Dec 2013 update [cited 18 Dec 2013]. Available at http://www.vdl.umn.edu/prod/groups/cvm/@pub/@cvm/@vdl/documents/asset/cvm_asset_403528.pdf
- Furrow E, Minor KM, Taylor SM, Mickelson JR, Patterson EE. Relationship between dynamin 1 mutation status and characteristics of recurrent episodes of exercise-induced collapse in Labrador Retrievers. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2013 Mar 15;242(6):786-91. [PubMed: 23445289]
- Minor KM, Patterson EE, Keating MK, Gross SD, Ekenstedt KJ, Taylor SM, Mickelson JR. Presence and impact of the exercise-induced collapse associated DNM1 mutation in Labrador retrievers and other breeds. Vet J. 2011 Aug; 189(2):214-9. [PubMed: 21782486]
- Patterson EE, Minor KM, Tchernatynskaia AV, Taylor SM, Shelton GD, Ekenstedt KJ, Mickelson JR. A canine DNM1 mutation is highly associated with the syndrome of exercise-induced collapse. Nat Genet. 2008 Oct; 40(10):1235-9. [PubMed: 18806795]
- Taylor SM, Shmon CL, Adams VJ, Mickelson JR, Patterson EN, Shelton GD. Evaluations of labrador retrievers with exercise-induced collapse, including response to a standardized strenuous exercise protocol. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2009 Jan-Feb; 45(1):3-13. [PubMed: 19122058]
- Taylor SM, Shmon CL, Shelton GD, Patterson EN, Minor K, Mickelson JR. Exercise-induced collapse of Labrador retrievers: survey results and preliminary investigation of heritability. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2008 Nov-Dec; 44(6):295-301. [PubMed: 18981194]